Tuesday, March 11, 2014

So Small a Thing...

'"Is it not a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt for so small a thing? So small a thing!”*

                        


So often I make the same mistake that Boromir did. Clutching to a misguided hope in something other than his own strength and courage or faith in those around him, he searches to a solution that will be a quick and easy fix. While it may not necessarily be the thought that Tolkien had in mind when he created the character of Boromir, this still speaks to me in a few ways. 

- Am I searching for something that will be that easy fix for my problems? Should I instead accept the fact that these things inside of me I struggle with are there to strenthen and overcome in the journey instead of taking the shortcut that seems to solve it? These challenges in my life and in myself are things to overcome and become the champion of my own tale. How much more inspirational will that be than finding an object to solve everything magically. 

- Why do I fear that small thing that is inside me? The things that I let become obstacles in my dreams and my decisions are instead simply part of that tale. Instead of being the almost overwhelming problems, I can see them as a small thing that should not cause fear and doubt. My dreams, my life, my journey is so much larger than that. 

The hope and truth in all this is: even though Boromir failed in one moment of weakness in his original quest, he had the courage and strength in himself to overcome this failure and ultimately be the champion we all desire to be. I see the story of Boromir as the tale of a flawed hero, but a hero nonetheless. 

*Excerpt From: Tolkien, J.R.R. “The Lord of the Rings 1 - The Fellowship of the Ring.” iBooks. 
This material may be protected by copyright.

No comments:

Post a Comment